Search This Blog

Sunday, January 21, 2024

Where Does My Help Come From?

 January 22, 2024

Monday

Psalm 121:2 (NASB 2020)  2 My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.

Many times I ask the Lord for rescue and He sends help. The two are not the same.

Rescue is pulling me out of the water that I am sinking in like He did with Peter who cried out to Him while trying to walk in water. Rescue is splitting the Red Sea so that Moses and the Hebrew people could walk through. 

Help, on the other hand, leaves me where I am. Help doesn’t make the problem go away. Help gives me strength to act. Help gives me wisdom for the best course. Help gives me encouragement when I am tired of trying. Most of the time, I need help rather than rescue.

Sometimes I pray, “Lord, change my circumstances,” when I should be praying, “Lord, change me to be one who will overcome my circumstances.” The first prayer needs nothing from me. The second requires that I admit that I am not up to solving the problem. The second requires that I am changed. The second prayer is humbling. The first leaves me in my pride.

Surely, the maker of heaven and earth knows exactly what I need. All of my circumstances are in His hands. He certainly allowed me to get in the trouble I am in. He just as certainly has a way out.

For years, years I have prayed for revival in the Church. I have wanted God to change people without much work on my part. In light of this scripture, I will pray differently. I will pray, “Lord, let me be the revival.” I have prayed as if everyone else but me needed revival. Now I am praying that I will have that revival I have prayed for. I cannot do this without His help. I cannot cause even my own revival. 

He indeed is my help. He is the great Creator who has made it all. 


No comments: