Search This Blog

Saturday, January 13, 2024

A Reward Is Waiting for the Faithful

 January 14, 2024

Sunday

Galatians 6:9 (NASB 2020) 9 Let’s not become discouraged in doing good, for in due time we will reap, if we do not become weary.

I have read of pastors who began new churches with twenty or so people and had twenty thousand in just a few years. That is not my story. I have seen slow growth when I saw any growth at all. I have seen those whom I thought I could always depend upon, leave and go to other churches. I have seen business meetings become no different than a secular city council meeting. I have had people tell me how bad I am at preaching, leading and even being a human being. Believe me, I know what discouragement looks like.

There was a time that I considered quitting. I was never treated like this in a secular job. I always got  promotions, raises and praise from my bosses. It was a much easier life. I even made plans. But God would have none of it.

The truth is that I need God more than God needs me. I cannot have the intimate relationship I desire with God by doing what I want. I must be obedient even if I am crushed under the weight of failure. 

There is a due time that each of us, no matter how much discouragement we face, will reap a reward. When I was first in the ministry I thought I would see that due time within years. Now, I have been doing this for over forty years and I realize that my due time will be in eternity.

But isn’t that the best time? What would it be like if my due time was on earth and not in eternity? We assume that those who had big impacts on earth will have big rewards in eternity. Maybe it isn’t figured that way. Maybe those who are faithful through back-breaking discouragement will receive the greater rewards in heaven.

The word translated “weary” here may be better translated “faint.” We all get weary but we should not quit. We all get to a point that we think we can’t take another step. Then, we take the Lord’s strength. We get up after being knocked down one more time. We go on.

The discouragement is only for a little while. The reward lasts forever.


No comments: