Search This Blog

Saturday, January 27, 2024

Do You Still Have the Love of God?

 January 28, 2024

Sunday

Romans 8:38–39 (NASB 2020) 38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I read this scripture more often after my failures than my successes. After I am down, even know that the failure was my fault, I need to head that God still loves me. It truly makes sense that God loves me all the time. Think about it: If God demonstrated His love toward me, that while I was still a sinner that Christ died for me and greater love has no man than the one who lays down his life for another, then in my opposition to God I received the greatest love that can be given. God’s love toward me is never greater or less.

Maybe this is why Paul went to such lengths to tell us that nothing can separate us from the love of God. His list wasn’t intended to be complete. Paul just wanted us to know that God’s love is complete.

There is someone I am thinking of right now who has heard the gospel numerous times. God loves him so much that Jesus died for him. This guy does not know God’s love. This world has such a tight grip on him that he believes that the world will ultimately satisfy him. He doesn’t know God’s love nor can he without stepping over the line to repent of his sins and commit himself to Jesus. He sees this as suicide. Yet, God still loves him.

I have been to prisons and jails to visit people. One of them was unrepentant. He pretended to be so while in prison but immediately went back to his old ways once he got out. God loves that man.

I have seen drug users and dealers. Some of them are both. They prey on others. The users steal and con every one they can to get another hit. The dealers sell their poison to take the lives of others. Yet, God loves them.

Some of the people who come to our food pantry abuse the system. They are driving nice cars. They go from one food pantry to another- sometimes on the same day.  They are taking what could be going to others who truly need help. God loves these people.

But before I stand in condemnation of those I have mentioned, I remember what a sinner I was and what a sinner I continue to be. In each time of repentance God has taken me back. Why? Because God loves me.


No comments: