Search This Blog

Sunday, January 28, 2024

What I Can Do

 January 29, 2024

Monday

Philippians 4:13 (NASB 2020) 13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

This is a very abused scripture. Many have applied it to anything they want. This scripture does not give me permission to do whatever I want. It only assures me that I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

I must remember that it is His strength I am depending upon. I can’t say I can do all things. I can’t without His strength. Paul has just recited how he can endure hunger and plenty. These were the reasons he knew that Christ was strengthening him. It wasn’t his strength that mattered. He is saying that he would not have been to weather the two extremes without Christ.

I have been reading a book by someone who walked with the Lord over a hundred years ago. He said that he feared the plenty more than the poverty. Hard times drive us toward God for comfort and strength. Abundance has a tendency to think we can do all things without God. Many people are no longer in church, having quiet times, giving, and serving because they have so much. Maybe we should pray even more when we have plenty so that we don’t wander away from His strength.

I must remember that He must be with me on whatever I need strength for. In other words, I can’t expect His strength if I am walking away from Him and not with Him. I heard a guy speak about writing a song that was published and sung all over the world. He knew that God was working with him when he wrote the song. Then, he wrote a set of songs and asked God to bless them. These songs went nowhere. He did the latter songs in his own strength. We can’t expect to ask for his blessing on the things we do in our own strength.

Challenges require I depend upon His strength. Challenges cause me to walk a closer walk with the Lord. So, knowing I need His strength, I walk with Him in things I couldn’t do without Him. I will be successful as I do His will because I do it in His strength.


No comments: