Search This Blog

Friday, February 13, 2009

Stop Complaining and Notice What You Have

I was at the airport last night picking up someone's luggage around 10:30 PM. I complained mercilessly that the airline had sent luggage from a later flight and left the luggage for the people I was picking up at their destination. The airline sent it on five and a half hours later. I didn't like having to go out to the airport again. The airline would have delivered it if we were willing to wait. About the same time that I was complaining a Continental flight was crashing in New York. Luggage was the least of their troubles. Their families would have loved to have my problem as their biggest problem of the night.

I seem to see my problems as bigger than anything else in the world. My inconveniences are more troublesome than others who have true handicaps. I take my problems pull them closely to my eyes and block out all others problems.

I fail to notice what I have. I wear glasses or contacts. I hate wearing them but it sure beats being blind. There are those who are blind who would love to wear corrective lenses if they could see.

My car is old. I was doing a funeral recently when the man directing traffic said, "Wow, you drive an old one." Yes, I do. It runs and its paid for. There are people all over the world who would love to own my car. One of the nice things about it is that I never have to worry about someone putting a scratch on it in a parking lot. If they did, I would never be able to find the scratch!

The fact that there are others worse off than you doesn't mean you shouldn't be ambitious. We should always strive to better ourselves and our surroundings. We should work for the promotion, fix up our houses and eventually drive better cars. At the same time, we should be thankful for what we have now.

There are so many things to be thankful for when you really think about it. Thinking this way is good for your attitude. I am blessed. God is good. Life is good, too.

No comments: