Search This Blog

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Where Is Your Power?

I got on my bicycle this morning to go to church. I pushed on the pedals, steered the handle bars and headed to church at a nice clip. I thought about this bicycle as I rode. It was created to do just what I was going with it. It sat in my garage all night. It would have sat there all day if I had not started riding. It would still be a bicycle but it would have no strength nor would it fulfill its purpose if I had not taken it for a ride.

I thought about so many Christians whose life are not fulfilling the reason they were created. They do not allow the Lord to power or steer their lives. They are going nowhere. They are doing nothing, just like a bicycle that sits in a garage.

My bicycle cannot resist my will. However, this is not the case of Christians and God's will. We can grieve God by going our own way. We can live as if we don't know Him. We can be unconcerned that our lives are powerless.

Many Christians think their faith is like a comic book hero's secret power ring. They think they can put on the ring when they need the power to do something but remain the meek, mild mannered and reasonable citizen the rest of the time. It simply doesn't work that way. Christ is Lord. He is not just someone to call on in time of need. He is someone to obey and love.

These Christians will have no power when the time comes.

Let's see if we all understand the following Bible verses:

Verse One: I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me and I in Him, the same brings forth much fruit for apart from Me you can do nothing.

Verse Two: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

The first verse says that the person who has made Jesus Lord of his or her life will produce much. It also says that you can do nothing without doing this. The second verse says that there is nothing outside of the reach of one whom Christ gives strength.

I am away from Christ if I am doing nothing. I am powerless when He is not my Lord.

So, where is your power?

No comments: