Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Is America's Morality Dead?

I heard a politician talking about his party this morning on tv. He said they (his party) had to determine what would get their party elected. I wondered if he knew what he just said.

What is wrong with determining what the core values and morality of who you are and seeking others who will join you? Could it be that we don't have a stabilizing morality in our country any more? Are we only seeking what appears to make our lives better without thinking what these actions will do to our souls?

Politicians think they are selling themselves to the public. They think that they must be what the public wants. They change from day to day so that they can blow with the winds of public sentiment. It is said that an honest person can't be elected.

Is it more valuable to be elected that to be honest?

Our country was founded as a republic not a democracy. The rule of law established within the Constitution and it's amendments were to lead the country as it developed ways to protect its citizens. The founding fathers knew that a true democracy was doomed. Every decision would be met with a vote. Right and wrong could be changed depending who showed up for the vote. They believed that a general election would keep the politicians in line. They believed that a majority of the people were hard-working, honest people who would do what was right. They believed that corrupt politicians would be thrown out of office and moral ones would be elected. It worked for many years. At least the politicians weren't overtly immoral.

Now, we seem to be swayed toward how we feel rather than by the constitution. The nation often rejects any statements which reflect strong morality. I believe this, not religious freedom, is the greatest objection to the posting of the Ten Commandments. People do not like to be reminded that they will have to answer to a Higher Power some day.

Whose fault is it that the nation has lost its morality? I believe it is the Church's. Churches put attendance and offerings at the head of their list as signs of significance and success. They did not adequately respond to immorality within their ranks. It has gotten so bad that surveys reveal that Christians are as likely to do anything immoral as anyone else. Who will model morality if the church fails to do so?

That is why God said, "If my people who are called by my name; will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." Note that He didn't say anything about the rest of the world. He spoke about the people called by His Name.

I believe that it is our responsibility to return to God humbly with confession to seek His face. I believe we must avoid even the appearance of evil. I believe that our nation is in need of the Church becoming the example of morality again. I believe it is our only hope for deliverance from chaos and possibly anarchy which will soon inhabit our land.

Of course, that begins with me. Would you say this prayer as I have:

Dear God,
Our nation needs to return to You. I will be that beginning. I humble myself before you. I seek Your Face. I ask for your forgiveness of my sins. I ask for your help in turning from any wickedness I have committed. I commit myself to You and to Your ways. I will do whatever You lead me to do. Thank You for bringing my nation healing. Amen.

Is it possible that enough people will do this so that we will see a moral America again?

No comments: