Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Guarding Your Heart

It is so easy to find yourself in a sin before you know it. One moment, you are clean before the Lord and within minutes you are doing something you know you shouldn't do.

I cooked a frozen pizza for lunch yesterday. I told myself to eat only a certain amount. I was so hungry that I ate rapidly. I still felt hungry. I had eaten the whole pizza before I knew it. That may not sound like much of a sin to some people. My problem is that I am already thirty pounds overweight. It is a sin to be a glutton.

I can resist anything but temptation. Temptation is something that I will gradually succumb to. That is why the Bible tells us to flee rather than resist temptation. It is in our nature to fall into it.

What could I have done? I could have eaten slower and allowed my stomach tell me that I had already eaten enough. That would have taken planning before I ate. I could have taken what I said I would eat, wrapped the rest of it in aluminum foil and put it in the refrigerator before I ate. I would have been less likely to overridden these plans and eaten the rest of the pizza.

The point is: Lack of planning in an area of temptation will result in trying to resist sin rather than flee from it. The end product will almost always be sin.

This is why we must guard our hearts. Mine should belong to God. Mine should be like God's heart. I have allowed impurities in when I sin. I must put guards in front of my heart so that sin cannot come close.

Today, I went with the church staff for lunch. I ordered two slices of pizza. I set one aside and asked for a take-out container early. I put one piece in the container and closed the lid. I had a much easier time not eating any more pizza.

You know, you would think I would have learned this by now. How about you?? Please leave me any comments.

No comments: