Search This Blog

Saturday, June 29, 2024

God Speaks through Those Who Lack Credentials

 June 30, 2024

Sunday

When God called me to preach, I was a staff member at a church. I had been to seminary for an M.Div. but I knew that churches were more likely to call me as a pastor if I got a D.Min. at a minimum. So, I set out to do so. There is a great problem with this. I was appealing to the flesh in those who were looking for a pastor. Pride is a part of the world.

1 John 2:16 (NASB 2020) 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world.

Thinking that a pastor must be called "doctor" feeds the flesh that is full of pride. This pride can result in missing some very called godly people. Because this is true, people who heard Jesus missed who He is. That still happens today.

Mark 6:1–5 (NASB 2020) 1 Jesus went out from there and came into His hometown; and His disciples followed Him. 2 And when the Sabbath came, He began to teach in the synagogue; and the many listeners were astonished, saying, “Where did this man learn these things, and what is this wisdom that has been given to Him, and such miracles as these performed by His hands? 3 Is this not the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are His sisters not here with us?” And they took offense at Him. 4 Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not dishonored except in his hometown and among his own relatives, and in his own household.” 5 And He could not do any miracle there except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them.

Do you see why they missed who Jesus was, His teaching and His miracles? They saw Him as a carpenter. Surely, a carpenter couldn't reveal the mysteries of God. They knew Him as one that was among them. There is absolutely no way that someone they have known most of their lives could be teaching like Jesus taught. Everyone knows that someone who is a carpenter and who is known can't do miracles. Thus, they didn't give God the glory when there were miracles. And Jesus didn't perform many because of this.

What we fail to see is that God has used common people to do extraordinary things. I am not saying that Jesus was common, I am saying that they thought of Him as common. Therefore, they couldn't believe He could receive the mysteries of God or perform the miracles of God. Yet, when God wants to do something extraordinary, He often chooses the unlikely candidate.

Moses couldn't speak well. David was just a shepherd boy. And before we go on, look at the ragtag group of disciples Jesus chose. Evidently, God doesn't choose people because of their notoriety. He chooses them because He can see their hearts. It may not be the heart that they possess right now. It may be their heart from walking with Him.

So, was it my education that got me noticed by a pastor search committee? No. The search committee from the church I was called to asked for a sermon. (Back then we sent audio tapes.) I sent the last sermon preached at my present church. During the time when I invited people to make a public commitment to Christ, a child came forward to proclaim that she had made a decision for Christ. Normally, that part is left off the audio tapes but this time it was included. (I didn't know it was there.) The girl was visiting her grandparents where I served. She and her family normally went to the church that asked for the tape. When they heard the name of the young lady, they asked her parents if they had visited my church on that Sunday. They affirmed that they had. They decided that this must be something that God had orchestrated. You see, I didn't know this when I sent the tape. They didn't know this when they asked for it. Pretty remarkable, huh?

Be careful to hear God even if He is speaking through someone who may appear unable to speak for Him. You can miss a whole lot of what God is saying if you fail to do so.

No comments: