Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Why Do Hurts Hang On?

I was not thinking of anything last night when I remembered someone who had hurt me in my past. It was years ago- in fact, almost thirty years ago. I thought I had dealt with it. I thought I had completely forgiven the person who did it. It hurt again as if it had just happened. I wanted revenge all over again. I know better. Why does this happen?

I really believe that our battles are fought more in the spiritual realm than in the physical. I believe that the devil continues to work against us. I know he continues to remind us of the things we have had victory over and questions that victory. He wants us to claim a right that is not ours. Vengeance is not ours. He wants us to continue in a conflict. Jesus is the Prince of Peace. He wants us to feel defeated. Yet, I have been made more than a conqueror through Jesus Christ. He wants to steal my witness, my faith, my joy.

I can beat myself for remembering those hurts or I can rebuke the devil. I choose to rebuke the devil. I choose to tell him that I have forgiven this person because Jesus blood was spilled for forgiveness. I tell him that God used this hurt to bring another good into my life. I tell him to get out of my life for I am on the winning side. I tell him that I am a winner. I praise the name of Jesus and he doesn't like it one bit. I tell him to leave in the name of Jesus and he is gone.

Lots of times I try to make hurt something that I need to handle. Often it is the wrong thing to do. I must remember that my battle is not with flesh and blood- not even my own flesh and blood! It is in spiritual battles.

I praise the Lord Jesus Christ for making me more than a conqueror. I thank Him that He has given me the forgiveness necessary for every hurt that I have had. I thank Him that He has given others forgiveness for the hurt I have inflicted. I worship His Name and in His Name I give the devil the boot.

Do the same and watch how the hurt leaves you. The devil doesn't like the victory Jesus gives us. He especially doesn't like having to obey in the Name of Jesus. Tell him where he can go. See if the hurt that you forgave so long ago doesn't leave you.

No comments: