Search This Blog

Monday, December 28, 2009

What Is the Secret to Success?

Do we really know what will make us happy? Do we assume that having fame, money, sex and power will make us truly happy?

There are many who have as much of this as they want and despair over each of their days. They know that there should be more to life than these things but have no idea where what it is nor how to find it. They struggle with different causes. They lend their names to saving the polar bears or the rain forests. They support causes for humane treatment of animals. They put their efforts behind saving children with cancer or MS or any number of maladies. While these activities are laudable; they still do not have the fulfillment in their lives that they have always needed. They still feel empty.  

So, they throw themselves into their work and causes more than ever. They felt some glimmer of usefulness with the success of each cause. Sometimes, they become obsessed with these causes. They exchange their addition to money, sex, power and/or fame for this cause. They may still feel empty in the end.

So, what is that secret to success? It is doing what you have been created for. It is in giving God glory with the talents and gifts that He created you for. It is knowing your God-given purpose and walking in that purpose. It is giving up the idea that others can tell you what you should be doing with your life. It is self discovery of your hidden desires to do what you never could do by striving for the things the world counts as success.

You are doing something that you love to do if you are doing what God has purposed for you. You are walking in His presence and strength. You are experiencing His joy and working harder than you have ever worked. You are amazed that you get to do this thing God has created you for. You are always trying to get better at it. You don't consider it work at all.

God's purpose may not make you rich, powerful or famous. The opposite sex may not swoon at your feet. You may be known to a few who are amazed at your way of doing things. They can't have your joy until they realize that they, too, must find what their purpose is and do it passionately.

My favorite day of the week is Sunday. It is my longest day. It is the day that I am most exhausted when I go home. It is the day that I get to do what God has called me to do. I prepare all week for it. I enjoy the preparation. I enjoy the execution. I enjoy it so much that I sometimes feel guilty that other people have to go to jobs in which they look forward to their time off. I look forward to my work.

I am not rich or famous. I don't have women falling at my feet. (Even my wife makes me pick up my own laundry.) I am not powerful. I don't have thousands coming to join my church weekly. However, I am very successful. I know who I am. I know what I am here for. I am doing what I am.

This is my secret to success.

Ephesians 2:10 (ESV)

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. 

No comments: