Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Jesus Came as a Baby

I wonder if a lot of Christians understand why Jesus came as a baby. He could have come as a conqueror. He could have demanded worship. He could have displayed His powers so that people would fear Him and pay homage to Him without His asking. He didn't. He came as a baby.

Babies are helpless. Their only defense is their cry. This is the only way we can tell when they need of want something. They must have someone to feed them, clothe them, shelter them, keep them warm, comfort them and protect them. They are dependent on others for any transportation. They cannot understand complex political schemes which will kill them. They cannot reason out solutions to financial matters. They are completely dependent on those who care for them.

It seems we would catch on if Jesus is our Lord. He did not come as a bully. He does not expect us to bully people into believing in Him any more than when He came. He makes Himself very vulnerable to our will. He depends upon our taking Him in like a baby does with his mother. He asks for faith through love which results in obedience. He knocks at our door. He never knocks it down. He requests our belief. He doesn't demand it. He asks for our obedience. He doesn't force it.

Each morning Jesus stands at my door and knocks. If I am listening and I hear His voice, I open the door so that He can come in. We fellowship together. He is my Lord. I am His willing servant. He speaks to me. I answer and know His presence. 

Many years ago Jesus knocked on the door of my life for the first time. It was no different than it is now. He didn't demand. He just knocked. I opened that door and it was the best thing I have ever done.

Jesus came as a baby. Do you get it? He is knocking at your door right now.

Time, after time, He has waited before,

And now He is waiting again

To see if you're willing to open the door,

O, how He wants to come in.

Revelation 3:20 (NIV)
20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.


No comments: