Search This Blog

Monday, December 21, 2009

Is It God or Me Who Is the Seeker?

Romans 3:11 tells us that there is no one who seeks God. Psalm 119:2 blesses those who seek God with their whole heart. So, is it God who is seeking us or are we seeking Him? Maybe the question is phrased wrongly. Maybe it should be, "Who seeks who first?"

1 John 4:19 says, "We love because He first love us." Mankind has not known what he has needed from the beginning. It was God who saw that Adam was in need of a mate. Adam didn't know what a mate was. It was God who sent the Messiah as a baby. Mankind would have chosen a conqueror. It is God who declares that His love is everlasting. Mankind is fickle.

We find the scriptures giving the picture of God seeking us. In Revelation 3:20 Jesus is standing at the door knocking so that we will hear His voice and invite Him in. Jesus says that He is the shepherd and we are the sheep. It is the shepherd who takes care of and goes after wayward sheep. So, it is God who is the initiator of the seeking.

Yet, there are times I know that I seek God. His presence in my life have caused me to want to know Him better. I want to please Him and I seek His face. I cry out to Him to be with me. I want to hear His will and do what He says. I want to see His vision and work to live in that vision. There is a connection between me and God that I can only explain in love. He loved me so much that I must love Him. He gave to me His life so that I may give my life to Him. I seek Him with my whole heart as one who is looking for the One he loves.

Yes, I seek God but He sought me first. I would have never known who He is if He had never come to me. I would never have sought Him if He had not shown me His love.

So, today I am the seeker.

Psalm 119:2-3 (ESV)
Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
who seek him with their whole heart,
who also do no wrong,
but walk in his ways!

No comments: