Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Is It Hard for You to Say, "I Love You?"

Some people tell others that they love them all the time. They do not have any fear of saying the words. Others have a difficult time actually saying the words. If asked, they will admit that they love other people but they simply don't say the words. Why is that?

Jesus said that His disciples would be known by their love for one another. The Bible says that we can't even love God if we don't love one another. These should be compelling reasons for Christians to be known by our love but is this the picture the world has of us? Unfortunately we are known for our boycotts and our angry speeches which try to tell the world to act like us. They, of course, do act like us with angry responses.

Sometimes people can't separate a person's actions from the person. They simply cannot hate the sin and love the sinner. They treat them as one because they see the person as a threat or an abomination. They fail to remember that God loves each sinner equally. They also forget that He desires that everyone come to Him. He is motivated by His love for each and every person to have sent His Son to die for our sins. He continues to call people to Himself by His love. We are His agents to bring that love to them. He holds us responsible. We should be loving people into God's kingdom.

Sometimes people have a hard time saying, "I love you, " because the words give some control to the other person. Love is a powerful force. It causes people to sacrifice for others. It makes them listen and even obey the other person. It makes them vulnerable for hurts. Maybe this is why the words are so precious when you hear them. They should be treasured because they are words of trust. They also are words that build trust.

The words, "I love you, " can also be words of protection. Many years ago, when I was a much younger man, a college co-ed came into my office. She sat on the corner of my desk and started talking to me. I do not know what her intention was but I was scared of how it appeared to me. I asked her to pardon me for a moment for I had forgotten to do something that morning. As she continued to sit on the desk I picked up the phone and called my wife. I said, "Honey, I forgot to tell you something before I left, " I paused and continued, "I forgot to tell you, 'I love you'." The co-ed slid off my desk and sat in a chair before the phone conversation was over. She never knew that my wife wasn't at home and I was talking to a ringing phone!

The words "I love you," protected three people that day: me, my wife and that co-ed.

So, today my challenge is to tell someone whom you love those three little words that may scare you. They will make you vulnerable. They will obligate you. They will protect you, build trust and just be a part of being a Christian. Call or text someone right now.

Yes, right now or else the moment will pass you by.

No comments: