Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Looking Good or Being Right with God

 August 28, 2024

Wednesday

A lady sat in my office and suggested that I do something at church which would have been unethical. Her reasoning was this, "No one will know." I replied, "You are wrong. I will know and God will know and that's enough for me."

I heard that a survey given out years ago claimed that a majority of people said they would commit murder for $10 million dollars if no one could ever find out who did it. Christians also said they would become murderers if there was no way to be discovered. Do we believe that God only exists when we need Him? Is this the result of preaching so myopically on God's love that we can't see His holiness?

Apparently, making things look good without being good isn't a new idea. Having people think you are righteous must be more important than being righteous. We have an in the early church that illustrates this:

Acts 5:1–11 (NASB 2020) 1 But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property, 2 and kept back some of the proceeds for himself, with his wife’s full knowledge, and bringing a portion of it, he laid it at the apostles’ feet. 3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the proceeds of the land? 4 While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men, but to God.” 5 And as he heard these words, Ananias collapsed and died; and great fear came over all who heard about it. 6 The young men got up and covered him up, and after carrying him out, they buried him. 7 Now an interval of about three hours elapsed, and his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter responded to her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for this price?” And she said, “Yes, for that price.” 9 Then Peter said to her, “Why is it that you have agreed together to put the Spirit of the Lord to the test? Behold, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out as well.10 And immediately she collapsed at his feet and died; and the young men came in and found her dead, and they carried her out and buried her beside her husband. 11 And great fear came over the whole church, and over all who heard about these things.

What was the sin of Ananias and Sapphira? Their character of pride caused them to lie to God and the early church. They knew that others were giving to the church and getting the praise of the congregation. They wanted to look like they were just as generous. God would have been pleased with them for the amount of money they gave. He wasn't pleased that their pride caused them to lie and say that they gave all of it.

Pride causes many people to do the wrong thing in order to look good. The mantra is "what others don't know won't hurt them." However, it will hurt the liar.

Now, I am guilty of this. I can't tell you how many times I didn't tell the whole story so that I would look good. Failing to tell it all is a form of deception. Deception is a lie no matter how much truth is in it. I wanted to look good without being good. I wished I could tell you that I repented of trying to make myself look good but the truth is that I am still repenting because I know that pride waits just outside my door all the time. I can still fall into its trap.

What I am saying is this: Looking good cannot be the reason that things are done. There must be a renewing of the mind to overpower the pride that says that it is. True confession tells the whole story. True confession accesses the Lord's righteousness. Partial confession is a lie to God Himself. You may think that you look smaller to others (and you just might) but you will be right with God. 

Which is more important to you?


No comments: