Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

There Is Still Hope

There have been many times that circumstances seemed to overcome God's people. It seemed impossible for God's people to leave Egypt. They were feared by the Egyptians who had made them slaves. Surely Pharoah would not let them go. How would he build his great cities and monuments without the Hebrews.

God called Moses and the rest is history.

Jericho was a royal city. Its walls were thirty foot thick. So thick that people lived within the walls. There was no known manmade force that could bring these walls down. God asked His people to follow His plan and the walls came tumbling down.

Jehoshaphat was surrounded by all the ites - Moabites, Ammonites and Meunites. Victory was impossible. He calls for a prayer meeting. He says, "We don't know what to do but our eyes are on you." Soon, Jehaziel gets a word from God that they don't have to fight at all. Jehoshaphat puts his choir in front singing, "Give thanks to the Lord for His steadfast love endures forever." All the ites attack each other. Jehoshaphat takes three days to carry away the loot that he didn't fight for. His enemy is eliminated without he or his army lifting a finger.

Then, there is Jesus. They put Him on a cross and publically executed Him. They stuck a spear in His side to make sure He was dead. They buried Him in a tomb. He stayed there for a little while but come Sunday morning He got up!

There are many people crying doom and gloom in this country. I have been one of them. However, this morning I told myself to stop this nonsense. I know better than this.

As long as God is on His throne, there is hope.

As long as God knows what we need, there is hope.

As long as God is all powerful, there is hope.

As long as God loves us, there is hope.

There is hope even though our national debt is beyond our comprehension. There is hope even if wrong is being made right and right is being made wrong. There is hope even if the circumstances indicate there will be a double dip recession. There is hope even if our elected officials don't seem to see the consequences of what they are doing.

Yes, there is hope but not because we have put that hope in the economy or elected officials. There is hope but not because we believe that BP can stop an oil leak. There is hope but not because we trust people to do the right thing. There is hope but not because the stimulous bill is working. There is hope but not because terrorism has been stopped. There is hope but not because I have the answer to your or my own problems.

There is hope because God is a God of hope! And He is still God!

My hope is placed in Him. I don't believe He will ultimately disappoint me. He is my hope.

Psalm 43:5 (ESV)
Why are you downcast, O my soul,
     and why are you in turmoil within
          me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise
          him,
     my salvation and my God.

No comments: