Search This Blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Christian's Bucket List

So, a movie comes out about the things two men want to do before they die and everyone starts making their own list. It is called a "bucket" list because its what you want to do before you "kick the bucket."

My first thought was, "Do Christians need a list like this?" At first, I dismissed the idea. Then, I of some of the things I have done and still need to do that have enhanced my life. I want my life to make a difference. These things have made profound differences in my life. They have changed me so that I can make a difference. I have not done all of them but I am working on those that I haven't.

Here they are:

1. Take a tour of the Holy Land. Most people wait until they think they can afford it. They are usually physically unable by the time that arrives. The trips I make to the Holy Land enhance my preaching and my faith. Don't wait too late to do this one.

2. Read the entire Bible. Know the books. Let the Holy Spirit read it to you.

3. Leave an inheritance for your children. This is biblical, by the way.

4. Get to know a missionary personally. Most Christians can name a missionary but can't say they know any of them. You need to know one in order to really have a heart for missions.

5. Give something to the Lord that means a great deal to you.

6. Experience a miracle. This is a strange goal but I believe that prayer and faith produce miracles.

7. Fast for an extended time. Going without food isn't the only way to fast. You can do without something that you have held dear to you. It can be sexual relations with your spouse, a sport that you love or anything that will make you focus on prayer and the Lord. Amazing things happen when people fast for the Lord.

8. Win at least one soul to the Lord and disciple him or her to become a mature Christian.

9. Get to know your spiritual gift and use it effectively.

10. Make a record of your testimony that all your relatives can hear at your funeral. You can record it or write it down. It needs to be in your words so that it will be your testimony.

This list is not comprehensive. There are many things that should be added to the list for those who are not faint-hearted. The Christian life is not a life with a period but one with an exclamation mark. Otherwise, it wasn't worth living.

2 Timothy 4:7-8 (NIV)
7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A Holy Land tour is on my list of must haves!

~Jaime S.~