Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Contract with the Church (Part 2)

My church can be like many others who have grown, leveled off and, then, started to decline. This church has seen many times when she has grown and shrunk. The pastor of the church must take the responsibility to see the church grow.

Make no mistake. The goal is to make disciples of Jesus Christ. The pastor must lead this charge. Therefore, I make the following contract with my church:

1. I will always be honest with the church. I know that I can take numbers and make them look good. I can report percentages of members in attendance while the total attendance numbers drop. I can report only the good things while ignoring the bad. I will not do so. The church will know exactly how we are doing without regard to how it makes me look.
2. I will always take responsibility for leadership. I will share the calling of each Christian to make disciples but I will not blame others if they fail to do so. I have been called to equip people to make disciples. I will do so or I have failed.
3. I will care for each person as they have a need. I will not get caught in a popularity war. I will not visit or care for a certain group and ignore another simply because one of these groups makes more complaints. I will be pastor of all the people.
4. I will work to the fullness of my calling. I will not relent in my work or my messages. I will prepare each message as the Lord leads without regard to the reactions or the consequences. I will not be found lazy nor neglecting the time it takes to please my Lord.
5. I will keep the church relevant in all areas so that the gospel message can be effectively given. This means I will keep abreast of trends in communication technology and current issues which need attention. This will mean updating websites, electronic messaging and illustrations. It will mean that I will know current affairs and preach a current message each week.
6. I will lead the church in prayer. I will seek God's face personally and lead the church to do so, too. I will keep prayer meeting as one of the most important times in the church.
7. I will present principles without compromise. I will not shy away from a message that is political nor will I preach a message because it is political. I will stand on God's Word; not on a political party or any other ideological group.
8. I will always seek to love the church like God loves the church. I will turn over those who are hard to love to the Lord so that He will love them through me. I will know (by experience) love for those who will not love me because my Lord loves those who do not love Him.
9. I will remain true to the gospel. I will confess my sins to my Lord. I will seek to live a life totally surrendered to Jesus Christ.
10. I will personally share my faith. I will seek to see others come to know the Lord. I will do so inside and outside the church.

Will this make my church grow? I don't know. I know it will make me grow. It is what I believe my Lord wants me to do. I believe my seeking Him will result in Him growing His church. I believe it will make disciples of Jesus Christ.

I will give my all. Isn't that what He did for me?


Philippians 3:7-10 (NIV)
7 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. 10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,

No comments: