Search This Blog

Saturday, January 12, 2019

What Is Your Hope?

I have noticed the dystopian novels that have been written for young adults. The Hunger Games, the Divergent Series and the Maze Runner series all present a bleak future where mankind is horribly cruel. The earth's resources are scarce, disease has decimated the population and/or mankind chases an elitist self-survival. The protagonists overcome impossible odds to find that the future isn't that much better than when they were being exploited. The victories don't appear to be so great.

I read the books and watched the movies. I wanted to know why so many people would buy these books and go to these movies. I still don't understand.

Are the people who follow these stories expecting the world to turn out this way? Are they that hopeless?

Truthfully, I don't know. I know that I wouldn't have much hope if I thought that my life depended the amount of money I could accumulate and the fame that I achieved. I have read that the young people of today say their goal in life is to be famous. That ranks higher than rich or many of the surveys taken. I wonder how famous they think they have to be. Most Americans can't name all the Presidents of the US. Surely, that qualifies as famous.

The young people are correct. This world will pass away with all that is in it. It probably won't be this generation or the next but the doom is sure. And man does seem to be pushing beyond what people would have called decency. Man is not decent to his fellow man. What is there to make him so?

This is not the best life that I will have. This life is not the longest life I will have. This life is not the only life I will have. My failures will not disappear at my death. They have already been forgiven. I have hope because I have Someone to have hope in. I know this Someone. I have met Him. I have heard Him. I know what He plans for me. He plans a future and a hope beyond this world.

This world will not be all sugarplums and lollipops. But, then, this world is not my forever home. 

I have hope.

Psalm 39:7 (ESV) 
7  “And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you. 

No comments: