Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

In the Beginning

Genesis 1:1 (ESV) In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

I recently read a book on the physics of time. It was incredibly interesting because it made me think  in ways that I have never thought before. For example: How do we know that the way we experience time is time's direction? Why do we call the past, the past? I appreciated the author's attempt to answer what seems more like philosophy that science.

It seems obvious to me that there has to be a beginning. We can't get to today if we don't have a place to start from. Yes, I know I am presuming that time travels in the direction we have traditionally said it travels. I suppose I would rely on Occum's razor. The simplest explanation is probably the best.

However, if there is to be a beginning there must be an action to start the action. Many scientists have called that the Big Bang. Again, we come to the same dilemma, what action caused the Big Bang?

Some, who don't want to claim there is a God, ask where God came from. They are using my own logic against me. You see, if I can say that there had to be a first action, caused by the first action giver, they had ask where the first action giver came from. They have a point if you think that time is something that occurs naturally without any intervention.

In the end, we have to choose. We have to accept by the faith we have put in science that there is no God and everything occurs naturally or we have to accept by the faith we have put in God's word to believe that God is the creator of everything. No one is without faith. We just have faith in different things or persons.

The people who don't believe as I do aren't any more evil than I am. Many of them, I'm sure, are very good people. They may be better than most of the people who believe in God. They choose to look at natural things for explanations. They ignore the times when things are unexplainable. They don't know what to do with the terminally ill person who is healed.

I, on the other hand, choose to believe that there is a supernatural God. I choose to ignore the terminally ill child who isn't healed. I don't know why. I explain it away with my finite mind. I claim that God has a purpose unknown to me. Mine is a belief of faith just as the atheist's is.

There is a bit of a difference, though. I claim I know this God who is the creator. How can anyone know the inanimate science he or she believes in. That either makes me as crazy as the person who expects his dog to answer in human speech or sane because I have a concrete explanation for the beginning.

I am at peace with my belief.

No comments: