Search This Blog

Saturday, January 5, 2019

It's Hard to Tell God "No"

It's Hard to Tell God "No"


Exodus 4:13 (ESV) 13  But he said, “Oh, my Lord, please send someone else.” 

When I became a Christian, I told God that I would not become a Baptist. When I became a Baptist, I told God I would not go into the ministry. When I went into the ministry, I told God that I never wanted to preach. When God called me to preach, I told Him anywhere but Houston. The first church where I was senior pastor was in Houston. I have resisted God's calling but I know better than to tell Him "no."

I became a Baptist because Baptists shared the gospel with me. I attended a Baptist church because they preached the gospel and loved the Book. I realized one day that I was a Baptist whether I wanted to be on not. I didn't resist when God told me to make it official. I walked down the aisle during an "invitation" and declared that I knew Jesus but needed believer's baptism.

I was sitting in church minding my own business when God called me into the ministry. Again, I didn't resist, but I wanted to make sure. I didn't immediately walk down the aisle during and invitation. I made an appointment with my pastor. The Holy Spirit called me, but it was his counseling that confirmed my call. I waited until my year of teaching finished and headed to seminary.

The church I was serving as a staff member lost its senior pastor and the rest of the staff was called on to preach. I had the same opportunity as the rest of the staff. I found that God used me in a new way through preaching. That doesn't mean that I was eloquent. It just meant that the Holy Spirit took my words and used them to accomplish His will. I didn't resist. I prayed that God would give me the opportunity to preach as a senior pastor.

A few churches talked to me about becoming their senior pastor. A church in Houston asked me to send a sermon that I preached so they could evaluate my preaching. I sent the last sermon I had preached. During the invitation that followed that sermon several people made spiritual decisions. One of those decisions was a little girl who professed Christ as her savior publicly. She actually attended the church in Houston. She was visiting her grandparents when she "walked the aisle." I didn't know she had any contact with the church in Houston until their search committee told me. Otherwise, I wasn't anything special. God used the decision of that little girl to get my attention and that search committee. I didn't resist. I just went to be their pastor.

What is the alternative? Jonah tried to refuse God. Things didn't work out so well for him. Many people left Jesus when He said some hard words. They no longer had any contact with Him. The result of telling God "no" is worse than being swallowed by a great fish. It means that my relationship with Him will never be what God has desired it to be.

I say "yes" to God because I love Him. I love Him because He loves me. That relationship is worth whatever He calls me to do. I know I could say "no" but it just isn't worth it. 

No comments: