Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Use Each Day Wisely

Ecclesiastes 11:9 (ESV)
9  Rejoice, O young man, in your youth, and let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth. Walk in the ways of your heart and the sight of your eyes. But know that for all these things God will bring you into judgment.

I wasn't looking for this scripture when I read it this morning. It stood out because it brought me back to reality. I thought of all the days that I have wasted. Each one of these days were a gift from God. I may have let my heart be cheerful but not always in the ways of the Lord. Those days are gone and can never be reproduced. There are no "Groundhog Day" moments. You don't get to live them until you get them right. Life is one and done.

So, I can lament over the missed opportunities that I had when I thought time was endless or I can make sure that the days ahead of me are full. I must make sure that I don't say that I will choose the latter while acting on the former. It will take an effort to know that each day is a gift that must be used wisely.

I don't want to judge those who neglect church when they could attend it. However, I don't think they are realizing the gift that is before them.

I don't want to judge those who neglect their children by working beyond any semblance of normal hours. However, I don't think they realize the gift of their children's age will not be repeated.

I don't want to judge those who drink or drug away their time. However, the thrill isn't worth the results

At the end of life, will we say, "I wish I had made more money," or, "I wish I had spent more time with my children when they were young?" Which one really matters?

I don't have to wait to take this realization live. Today is the gift given to me. I can and will use it wisely.

No comments: