Search This Blog

Friday, January 11, 2019

If This Was Your Last Day on Earth

Luke 12:16-21 (ESV)
16  And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, 17  and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ 18  And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19  And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’ 20  But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ 21  So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.”

"How much time do I have?" This is a question I have heard asked many times. It is generally asked right after the doctor has said, "cancer." I have heard doctors give any number of days, months or even hours when someone asks this question. The doctors have been right a few times.

How long we have to live is unknown unless we take our own lives. Even those who are involved in disasters like plane crashes or sinking ships have very little time to prepare for their deaths. It has been said that death comes like a thief in the night and it does. It comes unexpectedly to take what the owner wants to keep.

Many people live their lives as if they will never face God. In fact, their hope might be that there is no God. His presence at death can be a terrible thing for those who live this life without Him.

Now, I wonder. Since we don't know when we are going to die, wouldn't it make sense to live as if this was the last day we have? That way we will be prepared.

I had a professor in seminary who was diagnosed with bone cancer. He told us that he gave his life to the Lord a long time ago and He could call him home any time He wanted. I thought that is the way to live. Give your life to the Lord so that when He comes for that life He doesn't have to snatch it away because it is already His.

I ride a bicycle to work. I should consider my last day like today carefully. There are a number of times that poor driving, negligent driving or even malevolent driving have put my life in peril.

So, the only way to be prepared to meet the Lord is to be prepared at all times. It's like keeping your house clean so that you aren't embarrassed when someone drops in on you.

No comments: