Search This Blog

Saturday, January 19, 2019

Are All Babies Precious?

Psalm 139:13-16 (ESV) 13  For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.

14  I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.

15  My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

16  Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

Two events have grabbed my heart. One is the birth of a new granddaughter. She just over a week old and her life on this earth is right before her. She already smiles and reveals when she isn't happy. She has captured her parents' and grandparents hearts. I don't  think there is a good thing that I wouldn't do for her.

The other event is reading a story about a lady who celebrated her first abortion. She shares this with a crowd that cheer her on. Maybe they yelled so they couldn't hear their own hearts weeping for their unborn, aborted children. The story made me so sad that I couldn't really think of anything else much of the day. I looked at my own granddaughter's picture and thought of all the pictures that were never taken. I thought of all the grandparents who wouldn't hold these children.

God forms the child from conception. It is a miracle all in itself. Given time, the natural process is a child being born. That is a person that God knows before the parents know. That is a child that He wants even if the parents don't. I am so glad that the God who takes care of them continues to take care of them.

I pray for those who have had abortions. They know the truth whether or not they admit it. They certainly need forgiveness. Of course, that won't really happen unless they realize what they have done. The women I have talked to who have had abortions have trouble believing they could be forgiven. I assure them that they can. God is a forgiving God. He provided the way to be forgiven. It was found on a Cross.

I also pray for those who are terrified of having a child. They may be afraid of their own parents or the society they are in or even what their church or other Christians will say. I know it takes more courage to face these people who may condemn them than it would to get an abortion. I know that raising a child is a life-long decision. I know that putting a child up for adoption could be just as painful. I pray they will let the child live. I pray there will be support for these women.

Yes, I believe all babies are precious. They are precious because they are God's handiwork. They are precious because God has great plans for each of them. I pray that they can be allowed to be precious.

And, yes, I am grateful for my own little granddaughter. She is so precious.

No comments: