Search This Blog

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Going Where Jesus Says

John 21:18-19 (ESV) 18  Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” 19  (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.”

Business teaching says that people will follow you if they think you can take them where they want to go. Many preachers follow that model. They tell people that following their teaching will make them healthy, wealthy and possess the ability to affect their environments. They claim that they can heal sickness, make tooth fillings turn to gold and change the weather. Many people want to be superheroes. So, they believe these preachers can take them where they want to go. And the way they want to go is the way of the world.

Jesus didn't follow this model. He told people how hard it would be to follow Him. Yes, He told them that in the end they would be in heaven but the road to heaven was narrow and difficult. The above passage has Jesus telling Peter that because he follows Jesus, he will some day be martyred. This would be for the glory of God.

It takes very special people who are willing to give their lives for the glory of God. Giving your life is exactly what following Jesus means. Those are hard words to people who won't tithe, won't witness, come to church occasionally and refuse to go very far out of their way to serve the Lord. They are much happier with preaching that makes them superheroes.

Jesus essentially told Peter that he couldn't deny Him anymore and think he was following Him. Peter would not be perfect but he would be committed to his Lord all the way to death. Peter's focus would change from making himself look big and bullying his way around to making Jesus look big and being humble in the process. The expected change in Peter is a miracle all by itself.

So, Peter followed because he knew he wanted to go where Jesus was. He knew it the day he got out of the boat to walk to Jesus on the water but he wasn't willing to follow all the way to death at that time. Now, he is ready.

I preach the gospel and tell people they must do whatever, whenever the Lord calls them. There were times that I had to get out of my boat of comfort and walk by faith. Yet, while I hope I would give my life if necessary, I don't know what I would do if I am called to do so. I have gone to places and witnessed where I could be arrested but that's not the same as knowing my life may be forfeited for my faith.

So, I commit myself again today. I say that I love the Lord. That has to be the first step. Then, I simply walk with Him.

Yes, I will have to do this again tomorrow.

No comments: