Search This Blog

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Could Your Life Use a Full Charge?

I wanted to write this blog on my Macbook this morning but it was dead. Someone, possibly me, had used it until the charge was almost gone and left it up. While it goes to sleep, it does not stop draining the battery. Thus, I picked up a dead Mac.

This prompted me to think of "sharpening the saw." (I am not sure if I read this in "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" or it was just in my Covey Planner.) I wondered when I had last "sharpened the saw" or to use a more timely term: "charged my batteries."

I continue to ride my bicycle to work each day. I go to the YMCA to improve my upper body strength. This has rejuvenated my body so that I have very little back pain and I am carrying thirty-five less pounds than I did a year ago. I also make sure that I get seven hours of sleep each night. My body is getting rejuvenated on a regular basis.

But what about my spirit? This is something that also needs charging. I know what I must do but I tell myself that I don't have the time to do it. We all struggle with making time for things. Something will always crowd out important things if we don't schedule them. I have not spent any time recharging my spirit.

I need to give my spirit time to enjoy the presence of God. Surely, this happens in worship but the spirit also needs "alone time" with God. This is different from the quiet time that I have each morning.  It cannot substitute for it.

I had a pastor who once advised me to make sure that my work at the church did not consume me. He said I should, "Depart daily, withdraw weekly and abandon annually." The fact that I go home each day does not substitute for a vacation that leaves town. The fact that I have a quiet time each day does not substitute for a extended time when I spend time with the Spirit.

Thus, I must schedule a day when I take my Bible and a notebook to some place where I can read and pray. I must listen to God and be quiet. I must sing (it will have to be far away from people so that my singing won't cause others pain) and even dance if that is where the Spirit leads me.

Otherwise, I will continue in the dull plodding of my present spiritual life. I just don't want that. I think life should be exciting. God made it to be such. He provides fullness in my phsycial, intellectual and emotional existence. Why would I believe He would allow my spiritual life to languish? In fact, I believe He would want this to be more vibrant than the others. Each of these need time to charge back to vitality. So, it is with the spirit. It needs to be recharged, too.

Okay, my life could use a full charge. How about yours?

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

No comments: