Search This Blog

Thursday, March 28, 2024

God Will Provide

March 29, 2024

Friday

I wish that I could tell you that I didn't worry or take things at their face value when God has said that He will take care of me, but I can't. There have been too many times that I doubted that He would provide when I have never seen Him fail to provide when He called me to act in faith. Here is just one story of God's goodness.

My family moved to Brentwood, TN in June of 1989 as poor as anyone could be. I knew this is where God wanted me and agreed to be Brentwood Baptist's singles minister before I knew the salary. However, the salary seemed huge when I found out. But then, Brentwood is not a cheap place to live either.

We bought a house with an escalating interest rate because Brentwood had given their staff raises every year since the church was founded. The rate would go up for two years and then become a fixed rate. It was a challenge for us to pay the mortgage but I knew we would get a raise the next year that should cover the increase.

I had been there about ten months when the founding pastor of twenty plus years was called to work for the Tennessee Baptist Convention. The church, like most churches, froze all spending including raises for the next year. I was incensed. How could they have so little faith! Of course, I should have looked in the mirror for I was the one with little faith. I didn't know how I would pay my mortgage when it went up. The new year came and the mortgage went up.

One day near the beginning of the year, I went to the mailbox to get the mail and found an unmarked envelope with $300 in it. There was no note. There was nothing to indicate where it came from. That wasn't the only time it happened either.

I'll admit, going to the mailbox wasn't a chore anymore for me. I went, found money, and continued to see God more than provide for my family's needs. How can I be so faithless to think that the God who called me wouldn't provide for me. As I added up all of my "mailbox" money, I found it to be more than what I could have expected as a raise.

The church budget was prepared for the next, the staff was assembled to tell us that they were excited to tell us that we were getting a raise the next year. I thought, "I'm not sure that's such a good idea!" I liked going to the mailbox. It was better than a raise!

This is not the only story that I could tell you of God's provision. God has provided so many times that I am embarrassed to say that I still worried when I didn't see the money in the bank. I know that He provides but I have more faith He will provide for others than He will provide for me. Yet, I am the one who has seen Him provide again and again.

This morning I read the story of Abraham taking Isaac up to Mt. Moriah to supposedly sacrifice his son, Isaac. He knows that Isaac is the son of the covenant. He knows that God can restore his life. He knows that God will provide. What a statement of faith!

I know that God provides beyond what I have read in the scripture. I have experienced it so many times. I know that He will provide for anyone who reads this post and is in a situation. God will provide is something we need to embrace. He will provide to enable you to follow Him in whatever He calls you to do. Believe me, this is better than money in the bank.

Genesis 22:7–8 (NASB 2020) 7 Isaac spoke to his father Abraham and said, “My father!” And he said, “Here I am, my son.” And he said, “Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?” 8 Abraham said, “God will provide for Himself the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.” So the two of them walked on together.


No comments: