Search This Blog

Friday, March 26, 2010

Does God Order Your Day?

I don't like to think I'm superstitious.

I normally ride a bicycle to work. I got up this morning, dressed, packed my backpack and opened the garage door to the pouring rain. I do not ride in the rain if I can help it. I closed the garage door.

Since I was going to take my car anyway, I might as well pack my Macbook. I'm afraid to take it when I ride the bicycle. I'm afraid I will have an accident and it will be damaged. (On the other hand, I keep hoping that the PC will stop a bullet someday and therefore re-establish a usefulness for the PC.) I, also, might as well get the paper out of the driveway. I like to read it at lunch.

It was no longer raining as I retrieved the paper. Okay, I can ride the bicycle. I put the paper and the Macbook aside, get my backpack and go into the garage. There is a flat on my back tire of my bicycle. I think, "I can fix this now or drive the car." Fixing it will take too much time. I want to get to work. Both of the people who read this blog will be waiting for me to publish it. Therefore, I air up the tire, listen carefully for obvious leaks, put a spare tube in my backpack so I can fix the tire at lunch and open the garage door. It is pouring rain!

So, I'm back to taking the car. My wife's vehicle is parked behind mine so I get her keys, move the car, pack up my backpack and Macbook and start to work. If I am going to take the car and I will get to work sooner because I am not riding my bicycle, then what else can I take to my office? I would like some orange juice that I can stock in the little refrigerator I keep in my office. I turn toward Walmart.

As if by magic, the gas gauge suddenly goes to the other side of empty. The low fuel light comes on. I know I don't have enough gas to make it to Walmart and the gas station where I normally fill up. I turn back toward work at the next intersection.

The travel is uneventful until I stop at a yellow light. Other cars whiz past me; some even run the light. They know something that I don't. I am now out of sequence for getting a long series of green lights. I stop at nearly all the lights on the way to get gas.

If I stop at Sam's Club which is beyond my normal filling station, I can get gas and orange juice. I continue on to Sam's. I get my gas, my orange juice and make my way to work.

I start up the PC on my desk (and read War and Peace twice while it boots up). I log into my blog and complete the blog. The blog disappears when I tell it to publish. The PC has lost the connection to the internet while I was typing. The other employees still have an internet connection. The PC just will not connect.

I remember that I have my Macbook with me. I have a way to publish this blog today even though my PC is not working. I boot up the Mac in about three seconds, go to blogger to find that the only thing saved was the title of this blog. I re-write the whole thing.

Did God order my steps today? Did He prevent me from having an accident? I have been hit once with a glancing blow and narrowly missed at least one time each week as I ride a bicycle. Did He want me to take the Macbook so that this could be published? Does He have a purpose for me today? Is He ordering my steps?

On the other hand, maybe I'm just being superstitious.

Psalm 37:23-24 (NIV)
If the LORD delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

loved this :)