Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Let Everything You Do Be Done with the Lord.

 July 10, 2024

Wednesday

Luke 10:38–42 (NASB 2020) 38 Now as they were traveling along, He entered a village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who was also seated at the Lord’s feet, and was listening to His word. 40 But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do the serving by myself? Then tell her to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; 42 but only one thing is necessary; for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”

I know I have written about this more than a couple of times before but it came up again for me yesterday. It occurred to me that Martha was so busy serving the Lord that she had no time for Him. Serving the Lord without without Him is nothing but a chore. The Lord wants us to serve Him with Him. That is why He would tell us John 15: 5.

John 15:5 (NASB 2020) 5 I am the vine, you are the branches; the one who remains in Me, and I in him bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.

How could Martha have served the Lord with the Lord? She could by focusing on the Lord rather than the task at hand. In other words, she could have made sure what her motivation was. For those whose motivation is to look good, looking good is all that matters. For those who are seeking to make others happy, their happiness is all that matters. For those who are seeking to do the will of the Lord, that will will win out. In fact, those who are seeking to do the will of the Lord will not see the tasks at hand as chores. They will be opportunities.

There is another thing that I learned from this yesterday. We can get so busy that we aren't doing the will of the Lord even when we say we are doing the will of the Lord. Jesus did not chastise Mary. He told Martha that she chose correctly and it wouldn't be taken from her.

Most of the women I have talked with about this scripture cannot understand why Jesus sided with Mary. They are the ones who will leave worship early or skip worship altogether when their is a fellowship right after church. They believe it is absolutely necessary to feed people. I have told them several times that physical food can wait when spiritual food is being offered. They still think of themselves as practical. I love their servants' hearts but I disagree with their assessment of when things must be done.

Make sure that you aren't so busy doing the Lord's work that you have no time for the Lord. Eventually, you will run out of steam for you are doing everything in your own power. Jesus said that you really aren't doing anything without Him.


No comments: