Search This Blog

Saturday, July 20, 2024

Everyone Needs Jesus

 July 21, 2024

Sunday

I heard a guy tell me that he knew he was going to heaven because the world was a better place because of him. I have also heard people give the popular assessment that all people are basically good. But just yesterday I got an alert on my computer that said that it had been taken over. I was not to get out of the program I was in. I would be required to pay someone to unlock my computer. It was all a scam.

I also have had people call me from the Microsoft center to tell me that I had a serious problem with my computer when I didn't own a computer running Microsoft. I have had someone call saying that sheriff had been dispatched to arrest me if I didn't pay them immediately. I just read a Wall Street Journal story that said these scammers are using AI now and can't be caught so easily.

Yeah, everyone's basically good, right?

That is not what the Bible says.

Romans 3:23 (NASB 2020) 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

1 John 1:8 (NASB 2020) 8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.

It is a nice thought that everyone is good but there must be a different definition of good if we are going to say they are good. I believe most people think that they are good. And, they are by the standard of goodness that they deem themselves good. However, there is not one of us who hasn't sinned. There is not one of us who has completely reached the glory of God. There is not one of us who doesn't need a Savior who will die for our sins.

Sure, some people are worse than others. But those who join the company of the self-righteous are deceiving themselves. Those who believe that they are acting viciously toward "sinners" often never consider their own sins.

I heard of two big-time preachers who had to resign recently because of their sins. Those who applaud these failures in character cannot understand who they are in reality. There is no sin beyond any of us even though there are sins that we have not committed. We should be praying for these men and their families. We should be praying for their congregations. We have no right to be in the company of the self-righteous. We never earned the title. Righteousness was given to us by Jesus. We should never forget that.

I have heard members of my congregation talk about me like I don't know what sin is. They have no idea. I have always needed the payment that Jesus made for me on the cross. I am no better than others. Sure, like I said, there are some sins that I haven't committed. There are too many that I have committed to condemn others for the ones I haven't committed. I live in grace. I should be giving that out to others too.


No comments: