Search This Blog

Thursday, February 29, 2024

No Go; No Lo

 March 1, 2024

Friday

I know that God is always present. But is God always with me.

I have been in committee meetings when there were people who were present but they certainly weren't with me. Presence and support are two different things when we speak of the Lord being with me.

When in seminary a student told one of the professors, "No go, no lo." They had just read the Great Commission. The professor agreed, "No go, no lo."

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” (Matthew 28:19–20, KJV 1900)

While the Lord seeks after us so that we will be brought to a saving knowledge of Christ, He does not join us in those things that displease Him. The example that I often use when I consider this is the story of the Prodigal Son. The father in that story let the son go and do the things he shouldn't do. The father did not join the son. However, that doesn't mean that he wasn't present with him. The son was evidently on the father's heart for he kept looking for him to come home.

So, I can get very far away from the Lord but He will never be far from me. He will not join me when I walk from Him but He will keep me on His heart. If I want His manifest presence working in me, I must join Him in what He is doing through me.

Joshua was assured that God would be with him as He did what God commanded. There is no doubt that this is true even though God needed to tell Joshua.

   “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified nor dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”” (Joshua 1:9, NASB 2020)

Sometimes I want to overlook the command preceding the promise. Yes, God is always present, but, no, He is not with me in my disobedience.  

So, today I have one focus. I will be obedient to all that God has said and what He will say to me during the day. I will be aware that He is with me in everything He commands.

Today is going to be a great day!

No comments: