Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Defend Your Faith

 February 22, 2024

Thursday

I recently went to Paris. I learned some basic French words before I went on the trip in order to minimally function there. The language is quite beautiful. Thirty percent of English comes from the French language. It didn't take very much effort to speak a little French. Of course, I had to accept what I was learning as the meaning of the sounds I was to speak. I had no basis to refute most of what I learned. 

I grew up in an area of Texas with many Czech people. Some of the people mainly spoke Czech and being around them meant that I learned several Czech words. This gave me opportunities to play tricks on those who did not know any Czech. When someone asked how to greet a Czech I instead taught them to say, "May I have a kiss?" They would repeat these sounds with me until they were proficient enough to "greet" a Czech. Of course, the Czech knew the joke and didn't react violently. Words must be true or they will mislead.

The strangest thing is happening in the world today. We can't seem to agree on what is true. Much of that comes because there are so many lies that the truth can't be discerned. Many voices saying different things will confuse anyone. We can't agree on what is happening. We can't agree on what is right and wrong.

Too often we cope with this by saying that we are right and everyone else is wrong if they don't agree with us. There are many flaws with this if we have no reason for saying this other than we believe it. Many people think of their faith in this way. They simply say they believe it and are genuinely afraid someone will ask them to defend it. Thus, they often nod their heads at whatever is being said. Being silent allows them to quietly go along without defending the faith.

It was much easier when most people accepted faith even if they had none. They knew what was right and wrong and they were the silent ones. This allowed the rest of us to claim faith without having to defend it. We didn't expect people to defend the faith. They didn't need to. We didn't teach them to defend the faith. They didn't need to. People accepted what was right and wrong just like I accepted the sounds given to me had the French meanings I was taught. I didn't question it. I didn't think I needed to.

Today, you must learn to defend the faith as the people of the first century did. Christianity was foreign to them. The right and wrong of Christianity was foreign to them. The percentage of people who accept Christianity is becoming more and more like the first century. One report says that only 3% of Americans attend church weekly. The claim is that 57% of Americans claim they attend church. That answer may reflect all those who at some time attended while the earlier percentage concerns those who attend church every week. Regardless, we will be challenged to defend our faith.

So, let's take that challenge. As Elijah would challenge the prophets of Baal, let's defend our faith. Let's note the truth in our faith. Let's walk with our Lord and see Him working so that we have testimonies of our faith. Let's be a people who can stand when challenged.

   “but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, but with gentleness and respect;” (1 Peter 3:15, NASB 2020)  

This week's sermon: https://prentis.podbean.com/e/prayer-for-a-nation/ 

No comments: