Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

An Anchor of the Soul

 February 7, 2024

Wednesday

Hebrews 6:19 (NASB 2020) 19 This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and reliable and one which enters within the veil,

I flew for the first time in 1975. I worked for a bank and I went to Maine to repossess a car. (Yes, the bank will come for it even if you can get it to the moon.) I flew out of DFW, made a brief stop at ORD and changed planes in BOS. (I am just showing off as I use these codes.) I flew Air New England from Boston to Lewiston, Maine. The plane had no door between the pilots and passengers. The pilots didn’t pay much attention to flying. We did not maintain a level altitude. We went up and down. I am surprised that some of the passengers didn’t get sick. I was almost sure that the pilots capricious attitude for flying would cause us to ditch somewhere in the water. I kept my eyes on the shore because I wanted to know which way I would swim.

Christians should keep their eyes on the hope that we have in Jesus. All that we have in this world will end some day. It will mean nothing to us. The only thing that matters is our relationship with our Lord. The hope He has given us in our salvation is sure and reliable.

The hope we have in Jesus puts all of life in perspective. It becomes an anchor that we can depend upon. As an anchor keeps a ship from bashing into a rocky shore, our hope keeps us from the damage we can receive in a storm. With each crisis we can say that we have a home in heaven. We have someone who has loved us enough to die for us. We have someone who will provide. We have someone who wants us to walk with Him. We have a friend who will never leave us. We have a sure future.

Sometimes it seems like the problem right in front of us is the most important thing in the world. We think each crisis is a terminal event when it will only be temporary. We worry about it so that it affects every area of our lives. We need to remember that our hope is not in this crisis. Our future is not ultimately determined by this crisis. Our destination will not be affected by this crisis. The love the Lord has for us will not diminish because of this crisis. The crisis is a storm that would bash us against the rocks if it wasn’t for the anchor. The anchor is the hope we have in Jesus. It will hold.

Jesus went beyond the veil of the Temple to be the sacrifice that we needed to establish our relationship with the Lord. That won’t change. We can count on it, count on it, count on it!


No comments: