Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

What Are the Consequences?

Every day we all make decisions. Each one of these decisions may be done automatically (without any thought), disobediently (which requires thought) or spiritually (which requires the Spirit). Most people make their decisions without thinking there will be consequences but every decision has consequences.

The smallest automatic decision has consequences. Today, I put on a shirt that was closest to me when I got dressed. I, then, had to pick out socks, shoes and pants which matched. The consequences of picking out the shirt resulted in the rest of my outer wear. Matching definitely affects how people look at my choices in what I wear. It even affects what they think of me.

I remember noticing what an English professor was wearing one day when I was in college. I can remember because I wrote it in my notes. He wore a green plaid suit, yellow shirt, polka-dotted tie, purple socks and brown shoes. I thought, "Who is this clown?" Indeed, he looked like a clown. It is really hard to take anyone that serious when they don't look serious.

Of course, this in somewhat minor. Many other decisions have dire consequences. For example, do parents know what they are communicating to their children when they irregularly attend church? Do they know the values they are instilling in their children when they keep they continue to choose sports over anything spiritual? Do people really believe they will reap what they have sown?

This morning I was having my quiet time. I was preparing to read in Galatians:

Galatians 6:7-8 (ESV) 7 Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. 8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.

These verses made me look at the decisions I will make today. These tell me that I must be careful that my careless decisions may have consequences I don't want. Unfortunately I can tell you the logical consequences of my decisions but rarely think that far ahead. I need to look at what I am doing and why I am doing it. Am I responding to the Spirit or the flesh? Do I really believe God is in this?

Anyway, God is already speaking to me about this when I get a call from one of the Sunday School teachers at the church. He asks me if I am open to suggestions. He tells me that he is reading Haggai and thinks I need to preach on it. I really hadn't considered doing so but while I am on the phone with him I turn to the book. There I read while the Sunday School teacher is urging me to preach through the book:

Haggai 1:4-6 (ESV) 4 “Is it a time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses, while this house lies in ruins? 5 Now, therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider your ways. 6 You have sown much, and harvested little. You eat, but you never have enough; you drink, but you never have your fill. You clothe yourselves, but no one is warm. And he who earns wages does so to put them into a bag with holes.

I was a little dumbstruck. I was reading about sowing and reaping and here was a scripture which dealt with it right where our church is. We are considering renovating our sanctuary. This decision has dire consequences for the whole congregation if we decide not to do so. They will sow much but reap little. It will affect the livelihood of the congregation. It will have tremendous consequences.

Yet, most people have given reasonable reasons they don't want to renovate the sanctuary. They haven't given spiritual ones. Here is one that is. It also gives the consequences. Some of those against the renovation believe the consequences will mean the church will not have enough money to do other things. I now believe that failing to renovate the sanctuary will result in the church not having enough money to do other things.

There are always consequences.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Galatians 6:7-8 (ESV) 7 Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. 8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.

Is this only applicable to non-believers?  Believers need not be bothered? If it applies to believers, what is it saying to the belief of those who think that they are already a believer, they will go to Heaven to live their eternal life, regardless?  Is it you are already a believer, you have eternal life regardless, and you will get to Heaven, regardless? 

Is "sows to the Spirit" means only the point of entry into salvation, or it means on-going sowing to the Spirit, even after we are already a believer? I think we should sit up, it is the latter, is it not; and it does not say, it is for non-believers. So, if we are not sowing, on-going, to the Spirit, we are sowing to the flesh, there is no way about it. If it is the flesh we are sowing to, it said there, we reap destruction.  Is that big deal, reap destruction? I am afraid it is big deal.  In John 10:10a, it is said there, Satan came to steal, kill, and destroy.  What that implies is that in terms of severity, destruction is more worse than being kill! I don't think it is unreasonable to say destruction could well the opposite of eternal life.  God is not mocked.

Haggai 1:4-6 (ESV) 4 “Is it a time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses, while this house lies in ruins? 5 Now, therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider your ways. 6 You have sown much, and harvested little. You eat, but you never have enough; you drink, but you never have your fill. You clothe yourselves, but no one is warm. And he who earns wages does so to put them into a bag with holes.

Verse 5 -  "....... Consider your ways".  In short, what this text is suggesting is that we are to take of God's business needing taking care of, and God will help take care of our business; He will bless and protect the effort of our hand.  Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting to you that God is a tick for tack God. I am saying He chastised for a reason, and that reason can only be for our good or the good of others, in keeping with, we have to contribute in our part, in loving others as ourselves and as our neighbors.

Ps Prentis, some tough scenarios, you got there. May God, by His Spirit, always lead you, enabling you to make wise decisions as required.  May God provide the resources needed for His work, as you and your team and people, in prayers and supplications, present your requests before the Lord. God, would you please bless the effort of your servant, as he is given to nothing, but pleasing you.

Anthony Chia, high.expressions

Anonymous said...

Re: your post. I love it when God confirms His message to me like that. So specific. It remind me of what I know in a way that always warms my heart-->He is aware of me.

It's like a hug from the Almighty.

Deb