Search This Blog

Sunday, January 20, 2013

More Than One Way

There is only one way to salvation. I know that makes me narrow minded. You are exactly right if you think that of me but I didn't create my own narrow-mindedness. The One who grants salvation did.

John 14:6 (ESV) 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

However, that doesn't mean that the message of Jesus only comes one way. It takes many ways to present this message. We, as believers, need to stop thinking that our way is the only way.

For example, some people came to believe in Jesus. Nathanael, an Apostle, believes merely by meeting Jesus.

John 1:47-50 (ESV) 47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him and said of him, “Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no deceit!” 48 Nathanael said to him, “How do you know me?” Jesus answered him, “Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.” 49 Nathanael answered him, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!” 50 Jesus answered him, “Because I said to you, ‘I saw you under the fig tree,’ do you believe? You will see greater things than these.”

Others come to Christ because of the signs He performed.

John 2:23 (ESV) 23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many believed in his name when they saw the signs that he was doing.

Still others came because of the testimony of someone who had met Him.

John 4:39 (ESV) 39 Many Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me all that I ever did.”

It took more than her testimony for those who came out to meet Him because of her testimony had to have a more real and up-close encounter with Jesus.

John 4:40-42 (ESV) 40 So when the Samaritans came to him, they asked him to stay with them, and he stayed there two days. 41 And many more believed because of his word. 42 They said to the woman, “It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the Savior of the world.”

Many came to Him because of the preaching of John the Baptist and their observations of Jesus.

John 10:40-42 (ESV) 40 He went away again across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing at first, and there he remained. 41 And many came to him. And they said, “John did no sign, but everything that John said about this man was true.” 42 And many believed in him there.

A bunch believed in Him when He raised Lazarus.

John 12:9-11 (ESV) 9 When the large crowd of the Jews learned that Jesus was there, they came, not only on account of him but also to see Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead. 10 So the chief priests made plans to put Lazarus to death as well, 11 because on account of him many of the Jews were going away and believing in Jesus.

But others refused to believe even with Lazarus before them.

John 12:37 (ESV) 37 Though he had done so many signs before them, they still did not believe in him,

Some hear the word and believe.

Acts 4:4 (ESV) 4 But many of those who had heard the word believed, and the number of the men came to about five thousand.

And other examine the Scriptures to believe.

Acts 17:11-12 (ESV) 11 Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so. 12 Many of them therefore believed, with not a few Greek women of high standing as well as men.

I have always heard, "There is more than one way to skin a cat." I never understood why anyone would want to but the adage certainly applies  to sharing the message of Jesus Christ. There is more than one way to share Him so that He will be received. 

It is clear that the message remains true. There is no new message but there were many ways for people to hear that message. Many Christians want to criticize the methods of another church for their way of presenting the gospel. Some of these churches are using dance, movies, elaborate props and even pyro-technics to share the gospel. This is not my method and I could easily point to the fact that Jesus didn't use these methods. No, He just walked on water, raised the dead and fed five thousand with a couple of loaves and fish. Those aren't my methods either.

So, I praise God that there are those who are sharing the gospel differently than I can. I praise Him for those who are being saved.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Apostle Paul said this (1 Cor 9:19-23):

19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.


Anthony Chia, high.expressions