Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

Just One More Sign, Lord

Matthew 16:1-4 (ESV) 1 And the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and to test him they asked him to show them a sign from heaven. 2 He answered them, “When it is evening, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.’ 3 And in the morning, ‘It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. 4 An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.” So he left them and departed.

I speak with worried believers all the time. The tell me of their faith in Jesus. Some of them tell me of healings and other times when Jesus has provided exactly what they needed. But somehow this crisis which is right in front of them is different. Their faith wains. The need one more assurance that He can deliver them.

I just don't that another sign will take away the doubt in a crisis. Faith is continuing to say and act when circumstances indicate disaster. Jesus shouldn't have to prove Himself one more time.

Jesus is the Lord. That means a whole lot more than He died on a cross. It means more than He is your master. It means that all authority on heaven and earth has been granted to Him. It means that He is able to do all the works of His Father. It means that He will never be stumped by a problem too big for Him. He is the Lord of creation and creation must obey.

We pray rather than worry when we have faith. Prayer with thanksgiving for what the Lord has done will result in peace. It does not require a sign.

Looking for a sign is offensive to our Lord. The Pharisees and Sadducees looked for a way that Jesus would prove who He was. Jesus had already healed a paralytic, a leper, the servant of a centurion and fed 5,000 (this is not a full list but a representation). Why is one more sign necessary?

Yet, worried believers who have already seen Jesus do miraculous things are still worried and looking for a sign to prove who He is. They want to know that He can still work on their miracle. They are afraid that He will do nothing at all. Maybe they are afraid that their whole faith is a sham and there is really nothing there. Will one more sign change that? And if so, for how long?

What greater sign do we need than the resurrection anyway? This is the whole basis for our belief in Jesus. Any belief beyond the resurrection has to be anticlimatic. Jesus tried to tell people this but it is still not understood.

I believe that Jesus is who the Bible and He said He is. I believe that He is Lord. I believe that He is the Messiah. I believe that He did what the Bible says He did and can do all of that today. I believe He will carry me through each crisis. I believe without needing another sign.

I've already seen Him work in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps, there are those who are like me.  It is not so much that I do not believe He exists (Heb 11:6 said we must first of all believe He exists). I know He exists, and I have sought Him before, and He has rewarded before; He allowed Himself be found. And of course, I know faith is needed to please God (again, Heb 11:6), yet, I still, from time to time, fall into anxiousness, not so much that suddenly I no longer believe He exists or that He is around. In fact, I have already believe He can do all things. The problem is that I am not in full agreement with Him, and so, He may not act in the manner or time I expect Him to.  It is not that God fails me, but that I have not moved in tandem with His will for my life.

Another reason is that I am limited in my understanding of what is best for me; God's knowing of what is best for me, I know not or have not fully comprehended;  how could I fully comprehend it.  Scripture, in 1 Cor 2:9, said, "“What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived”  - the things God has prepared for those who love him—"

Then, I also lack perseverance and patience, and I wait not enough for Him, and I spend not enough time to know His will.  What God wants me work on, I take care of it so little, instead, I am always spending time and energy on something else. Of course, my not knowing, what is what, makes things even more complicated, and confusing. It is all not so easy.  There are just too many distractions, O Lord, I can't make out the genuine ones from the fakes.

Lord, it is not another sign I ask, so that I know you exist or are able, but I do need your help so every so often, in my daily life and routines. Forgive me, Lord, that I pray so little, being presumptuous so much, and take you for granted so much. Lord, even though I find you not acting as I would like you to, time and time again, it can only be that what I want is not in line with your plan for me.  It is so very true, your grace for me and us, was and is so great; what worthiness do I or we have, but the worthiness you counted to me or us.  Thank you, Lord, for your grace, your love, your long-suffering, and your faithfulness.

Anthony Chia, high.expressions