Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Where Is Truth?

I have asked people that question. Where is truth? Most don't have a clue what I have asked.

I want to know how anyone can know what the truth is. We must have a place that allows us to know truth or our world will constantly change with right and wrong. We will be confused and stay confused. We will always wonder if we are doing what we should.

This is why children need structure in their lives in order to feel secure. They need to know what is right and wrong. That right and wrong must come consistently from both parents. The child is secure in knowing that he can play in the yard but will be punished if he wanders into the street. The consistency of right and wrong allows the child to play freely in the yard without fear of being punished. The child has learned that truth comes from his parents. Inconsistency from parents results in the child being confused. He doesn't know what is right if he plays in the street with no punishment. He is insecure in his understanding of truth.

Truth cannot be that which is accepted in society. Society changes constantly. It will say that big cars are the desire of everyone in one decade and denigrate those that own them in the next. Society says that sheer numbers of people who support and idea, lifestyle or morality determine what is right and wrong. This creates a very insecure people. They have to read the latest poll before they can determine what they will support or deny. Eventually they will have no personal convictions. In fact, society itself will have no convictions.

So, when I ask where is truth I am looking for a specific answer. I want to know where the person finds truth. I know where I find it and want to see if the person agrees with me. I know that Jesus is the truth. All of life needs to be interpreted through Him. Scripture is interpreted in the light of Jesus. It sets me free to relate to all other things in my life.

I find truth in the person of Jesus. Therefore, I find that living in His words reveal the truth. I know the truth experientially when I live within His words. It is more than merely an intellectual assent to the truth. It is a practical practicing of that truth. In other words, I don't simply know the boundaries but I live within them. They bring me to security and give me freedom to act within them.

John 8:31-32 (NIV)
31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."  

No comments: