Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

There Is Time for Everything You Need to Do

I find myself rushing more than I ever did when I was younger. I rush to the hospitals to visit the sick. I rush to committee meetings, luncheons and appointments. I write articles as quickly as possible. I spend almost every waking moment working. I am getting less done than I ever have.

Maybe I am giving the same emphasis to everything I do. Maybe I am trying to do more than I should. Of one thing I am sure: God does not want me living my life this way. He has given me twenty-four hours in every day to do what He wishes. Sometimes He wishes me to sit and listen without doing anything else. Sometimes He just wants me to relax. He always wants me doing the right thing at the right time.

This is one of the reasons I must have a time alone with Him every day. I need to know what I am supposed to do without rushing everywhere trying to do everything as if  everything had the same importance. Some things I will not get to do because I was never supposed to do them. Some of the things I must do.

I guess I don't think of God telling me I shouldn't be doing something that seems perfectly legitimate. He simply doesn't want me leading all the Bible studies or preaching all the sermons. God gives me enough time to do everything He wants me to do. My trying to cram other things into my schedule has nothing to do with Him. It has everything to do with me.

Maybe that's your problem too. Maybe you have been trying to cram too much into your day. There is time for everything that needs to be done. You just don't have to do it all yourself. You may need to do it at a different time or not at all.

Have you ever thought thought that maybe the universe really doesn't revolve around you?

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 (NIV)
1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

No comments: