Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Who Am I?

Have you ever looked something for a long time and suddenly seen that which you have never noticed before? I was doing that this morning as I read Paul’s letter to the Romans. I noticed how carefully he told us who he is. He says he is: a servant of Jesus Christ, called an apostle, set apart for the gospel. Paul is very distinct. He is telling why people need to listen to him. I wondered, “Do people need to listen to me?” Who am I anyway?

I must admit that I and everyone who follows Jesus is a servant. I should remember that everyday. I shouldn’t expect the church, the world or God’s other minsters to serve me. I am His servant. It is my privilege to serve Him.

I do not have the authority of an apostle. Paul clearly understood that he was special. God would use him in ways that others would not be used. I am not an apostle. I cannot write or speak with the authority of scriptures. I will not have the Holy Spirit call me to write new parts of the Bible. This means that I am under the full authority of the scriptures. I cannot decide which verses I will obey and those I will not. I cannot discern a new interpretation like an apostle. I cannot be so inspired that I will expect others to read what I have written, memorize it and treat it as sacred. I am not an apostle.

I have been set apart for the gospel. This means I cannot be so concerned with a lot of good things. I cannot be involved in getting people elected into office. I cannot be one who makes raising money, saving the whales or promoting conservation as my primary responsibility. These may be good things. They are not my calling. I am set apart for the gospel. I need to point toward Jesus in everything I do.

Who are you? Do you know your calling? Does that focus your life on what you should be doing? Paul carefully points these things out. It kept him on target with God’s purpose for his life.

Romans 1:1 (ESV)

1 Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God

1 comment:

RAJ said...

Still searching for my calling. Every day. Still searching...