Search This Blog

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Are You Able to Drink from the Cup?

James and John wanted to sit on the right and the left side of Jesus when He came into His kingdom. They wanted to be in seats of power and leadership. They fully believed Jesus would have a kingdom. Jesus asked them if they were able to drink from the cup that He would drink from. They said they were able. They didn’t know what they were saying.

Our calling does not come with a map. We don’t have any idea what we are doing when we accept what God has for us. We are saying that we will do whatever whenever without regard to what this future will hold. Of course, we don’t know. If we did, we probably wouldn’t ever accept the call.

Our call comes both gradually and suddenly. It is a call like Paul’s which suddenly changed the direction in his life, yet also was slow because Paul spent some time perfecting his theology and sitting under the leadership of Barnabus before taking the lead which would be his calling. God always prepares us for our future.

We have no idea what we are committing to when we accept our calling. I remember asking the Lord to be able to preach like a another preacher I admired. The Lord said to me, “Are you able to drink from the cup I have had him drink from?” Of course, I foolishly said, “yes” without thought.

Maybe that is a blessing. I’ll bet Moses didn’t know what he was committing to when he led the his people out of Egypt. I’ll bet Peter didn’t expect to give his life by being crucified upside down. I’ll bet that the disciples believed their future with Jesus would be a much better life on earth than they received. 

On the other hand, they, like us, did receive a much better life. They walked with Jesus. They knew His presence and experienced the only real joy in the universe. And yes, it is worth it. Every drop of blood is worth it. If not, then the rich, young ruler made the best choice. He walked away from Jesus a rich man. He kept everything he had but he missed Jesus.

The only way to have life is to give it away.

Matthew 20:21-23 (ESV)
21 And he said to her, “What do you want?” She said to him, “Say that these two sons of mine are to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom.” 22 Jesus answered, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am to drink?” They said to him, “We are able.” 23 He said to them, “You will drink my cup, but to sit at my right hand and at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.”

No comments: