Search This Blog

Saturday, February 24, 2024

Will I Act Like Jesus Is My Lord Today?

 February 25, 2024

Sunday

Recently, my wife and I went to Paris. I went with no small amount of trepidation. I had heard that the French were rude, especially to those who don't speak French. I don't speak French. I tried to learn some French words before I left. I tried to understand their customs. I failed miserably. I expected to receive the wrath of the French people.

I was so pleasantly surprised to find the French courteous and friendly when I arrived. Not many of them spoke English. I stumbled through the French phrases I learned and they were very forgiving. My personal encounter with the French was very positive.

But that experience can go the other way too. There are people who have a reputation for being kind that have sorely disappointed me. They were rude and short with me. They had a persona of cheer, kindness and loving everyone when they presented themselves publicly but privately that simply wasn't who they were.

This is not a new phenomena. People have presented themselves as one thing while being totally different for a long time. Thus, you have Jesus warning of the scribes and Pharisees.

Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to His disciples, saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses. Therefore, whatever they tell you, do and comply with it all, but do not do as they do; for they say things and do not do them. And they tie up heavy burdens and lay them on people’s shoulders, but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as their finger. And they do all their deeds to be noticed by other people; for they broaden their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garments. And they love the place of honor at banquets, and the seats of honor in the synagogues, and personal greetings in the marketplaces, and being called Rabbi by the people.” (Matthew 23:1–7, NASB 2020)

The scribes and the Pharisees wanted to look good above all else. They wanted to present themselves as the most righteous of all. Surely, no one knew the scriptures like the scribes. No one appeared to keep the law like the Pharisees. They said the right things but they simply did not do them.

But before I throw any more rocks at the scribes and Pharisees, I might look at my own life. Am I really the person who presents himself as knowing Jesus to those who see me behind closed doors? Am I loving and sacrificing toward my wife? Do those in the church office know me to be caring? I must say that I am not, some of the time.

Maybe I need to spend more time in front of the mirror and less time throwing rocks at others.

But today, I can be who I need to be. Today, I can present the character of Christ. Today, I can make that decision. So, I do. Today I will be the person I need to be with those who see me behind the facade that I too often present publicly. I will have the character of Christ because the Holy Spirit lives in me. I will concede to the Spirit rather than pretending I am like Christ. I will be because of Him. He is and will change me.

Will you join me in this?

This week's sermon: https://prentis.podbean.com/e/prayer-for-a-nation/ 


No comments: