Search This Blog

Saturday, January 26, 2019

Why Try Being a Good Christian If I Am Going to Fail Anyway?

Romans 7:18 (ESV)
18  For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.

No one lives the perfect Christian life. No, you can't cite Jesus as one who does because He was God. Holiness is His nature. Holiness is not our nature. Paul says it well when he says, "nothing good dwells in me." Jesus had nothing but good.

So, if I can't be successful, why should I try? To answer this we must first define success.

We will have days that we walk with the Lord and days when we wonder if we will ever walk with the Lord. Recognizing our sinfulness is evidence that we have gotten close the Lord. Those who are far away may not recognize their sins at all while those who are close to Lord see their sins as large. Therefore, recognizing our sin reveals a closer walk with the Lord. But this is not success if your definition is living a perfect Christian life.

Those who are close to the Lord have communication with Him. They hear Him through His word and through their spirits. Sometimes God sends other godly messengers to deliver His message to those who are walking with Him. Solid communication reveals a close walk with the Lord. He reveals Himself to His friends. Communication is evidence of friendship. Friendship makes people close. God is close to those with whom He communicates. Still, this is not success if a perfect Christian life is your definition of success.

Then, we must change our definition. No one can life a perfect Christian life on their own. They would be taking on the character of God without the power of God. Thus, defining the perfect Christian life as success would be impossible. God gave us grace with continual forgiveness because He knew we would not be able to keep all that He wanted for us.

God didn't settle for imperfect Christians either. He sought people who fellowship with Him, not people who are perfect. He knows we will skin our knees and has the bacterial soap and bandages to make us better. He watches us grow rather than arrive.

So, I walk with God. I communicate. I call Him my friend. And I fail Him at times. And I confess and He doesn't hold what I have done against me. I live in grace.

Success is not accomplished by us. It has always been Him working in us to bring the success He accomplished.

All I can say is, "Praise, Jesus!"

No comments: