Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Tursting in Jesus is More than an Intellectural Decision

I had heard the gospel many times before I gave my heart to Jesus. I really don't know why I hadn't already done it. I wasn't rebelling. I just didn't see the need. When I finally gave my life to Christ I could only see the need.

People have told me that they gave their lives to Christ because it was better to give their lives to Him and be wrong than to refuse to give their lives to Him and be wrong. That's just not the way it works. Truly trusting in Christ is a commitment that you can't turn back on. The Lord inhabits you and He won't let go if you really trust in Him.

I believe that a lot of the people who say they have trusted in Jesus are just superstitious. Jesus is like a ritual that makes things better or He is like an insurance policy that isn't needed until death. The dictionary says that superstition is a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown or trust in magic or chance. That sounds like the faith of a lot of people. They are afraid of death so they hedge their bets by saying a prayer that they really don't mean but believe the power of the words alone will save them.

So, you can't try Jesus any more than you can try jumping out of an airplane without a parachute. You are committed the moment you make the commitment. There is no going back.

God certainly uses the intellect but does not depend upon it for bringing you to Himself. Something deeper happens. Conviction comes upon the person that the gospel is the truth. This conviction leads you and others to believe. It is more than saying a prayer. It is more than being baptized. Salvation awakens the spirit of the new believer. He or she knows that He will never leave. Joy invades the person's life.

The conviction of the Holy Spirit cuts us to our hearts. Maybe no one can explain why he gives his life to Christ at the time that he does.

 I just know that I am glad that I did. I did this in April of 1973.

Acts 2:37-38 (ESV) 37  Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” 38  And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

No comments: