Search This Blog

Monday, January 28, 2019

What Do We Wrestle For?

Ephesians 6:12 (ESV)
12  For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.

I used to think this referred to our struggle to win souls for Christ. I thought that the wrestling was against everyone that opposed the spread of the gospel. I believe I was wrong. 

The demonic forces do not need to work against us in this way. They work as the thief has always worked. They seek to steal, kill and destroy. Jesus came to establish an eternal relationship with us.
That relationship included walking with Him, listening to Him and obeying Him. The demonic forces cannot take away our salvation. That union with God is held by God Himself. Therefore, they seek to take us away from the walk, the listening and the obedience. Each day we face temptations that cause us to fail in our walk, talk and obedience. We must get up each day with with confession and commitment all over again. The armor of God must be placed on us so that we hear and act on the truth, we live lives of righteousness. secure in our salvation, sharing the gospel, holding onto our faith and defeating the evil forces with the word of God.

This is why there is so much strife in churches. The members are fighting this same battle and losing much of the time. Their faith is stolen from them. They do not lose it all but they lose enough to make it practically impotent. Their lives are killed. Not their physical lives or their eternal life but certainly the life God had intended for them. Their witness is destroyed. The life that God had planned was one of a future and a hope but they live lives without a future and a hope. They act like the world because they have been conformed to it.

When I went into the ministry, I knew there would be persecution. I just didn't think it would come from members in the church. Now, I know that this is where it will often originate because the demons aren't opposing the actions of the people outside. It is the ones inside that they want to steal, kill and destroy.

This is why the church needs revival. When God's people humble themselves and pray, seek His face and turn from their wicked ways God hears from heaven to forgive and heal the land. Of course, the demonic forces are fighting against this too.

I cannot say that I am humble. Only God can pronounce that upon me. I am not a good judge. I believe I am seeking. I know I am trying for I seek to walk with Him, listen to Him and obey Him. I am not so arrogant as to say that others should join me. I may be far behind others. I want them to do this as if they are the only ones who are. 

We fight to become closer to our Lord. That is the prize at hand.

No comments: