Search This Blog

Saturday, July 23, 2011

There Is A Difference between Sailing and Drifting

Sailboats do not stay in one place unless anchored. The wind or the current in the ocean will move them. They will drift the direction of the current and wind. It takes a greater effort to go against the direction of the wind. The sailor must go back and forth to make headway.

Our Christian lives are like sailboats which are being pushed where they do not want to go.  It takes a great effort to stand up to the wind that is against us. We will drift away from our goal if we do nothing. We must actively work to continue on our journey.

Many Christians are brought under conviction of the things they need to do. They genuinely want to get closer to their Lord. They genuinely want to be obedient and in the middle of His grace. However, they do not work at it each day and so they drift in the wrong direction.

I have seen a number of my friends who no longer walk with the Lord. Their lives were vibrant with the Lord at one time. Now, they are nominal Christians. They act in ways indistinguishable from non-Christians. They run from spiritual things and spiritual people. They are like people in comas; they are still alive but for what they are getting out of live, they might as well be dead.

For some reason, many Christians think they can drift and still go the right direction. That is actually impossible. The wind is against us.

So, I cry out to my Lord to help me remember that the time I have with Him will protect me from myself as well as make me stronger. I praise Him that He has heard me and draws me close.

I will always drift away from Him if I fail to have time alone with Him each day. That is just the way it is.

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit.
Psalm 51:10-12

No comments: