Search This Blog

Monday, July 4, 2011

I Will Look to the Lord

The economic recovery we are supposed to be seeing doesn't appear to be in sight. Many have lost the life savings they had prepared for their retirement. Several have said that retirement will not be in their future. Those who still believe in retirement are depending upon bankrupt Social Security to be their safety net. Home equity has fallen with the price of homes. Many people who lost jobs are working at jobs which pay much less than they once had. Many have simply stopped looking.

And where do we turn in these bad economic times? Back to the same people who got us here! Politicians! For some reason we believe that those who did not have the courage to stop giving away the country before the recession will now have the courage since we are in such dire economic times. They didn't have the courage to do so when it was easier  but now they will have the courage when it is harder. Yeah, let's see how that works out for us!

For some reason we can't understand why people won't do the right things and fix the entitlement programs our nation has come to depend upon. Each industry has somehow gotten its hand in the government cookie jar of entitlements. The result is a bankrupt nation which cannot pay back what it owes. It will take severe spending cuts to put us back on track. Raising the taxes to the level necessary to balance the budget would be devastating. Even the rich do not have enough money to make a serious dent in the national debt.

We won't do the right thing unless we know the standards by which the right thing must be done. There is no common sense without a common truth. There is no common truth when we are accepting the words of so many people who represent various beliefs. Economics is not the answer for economists are disagreeing on what needs to be done. They have no common truth. They have economic theories. Politicians cannot have a answer since the majority of them seek their own interests first. They pass laws for the rest of the people while exempting themselves from these laws. Surely we must know they are seeking their own self interests.

While I believe in a separation of church and state I also believe in a return to values which are represented in the Judeo-Christian model. Where did the writers of the Declaration of Independence get the "truths to be held self-evident?" What made them self-evident if there wasn't a common truth?

I know a number of people believe I am proposing a religious state. Do you have a religious state when you proclaim that murder must be punished? How do you realize justice if there isn't some standard which is "self-evident" and endowed by a Creator? Why does the admission of a Creator establish a religion if there isn't some self-evident truth?

So, excuse me if I do not seek to be politically correct. I do not believe I can put my hope in politicians and economists any more than I can trust in the weatherman to tell me what the weather will be like this winter. Yes, sometimes all of these are right but their infrequency of being right doesn't even come close to the accuracy of a broken clock which is right twice a day.

My only hope is that our nation will turn back to God. My hope is that He will turn this nation around when we decide to walk with Him.

And by the way, I have politicians tell me lately that I should follow them. They say that I should support them so that they will lead this nation to economic prosperity. That hasn't been the way of the politicians of the past, why should it be that way now. Politicians stick their fingers in the air to see which way the wind is blowing before acting. They follow what the majority of the people want (except for health care. They broke that rule on this one.).

 I believe that we will never turn this nation around by electing better politicians. I believe we need better Americans who won't be hoodwinked by the politicians who promise us entitlements for our votes. We would reject something for nothing if we were better Americans.

Thus, my life shall be devoted to the Lord and my hope shall be in Him. I will declare my own independence from a system which is corrupt and live a life solely devoted to Him. Therefore, I will not be enticed away to do what shouldn't be done. I will reject greed and seek what is good for everyone. I will no longer look to my government to supply me with what I need. I will look to the Lord.


Jeremiah 14:22 (ESV)
22 Are there any among the false gods of the nations that can bring rain? Or can the heavens give showers? Are you not he, O LORD our God? We set our hope on you, for you do all these things.

No comments: