Search This Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

Knowing When to Stand Up

I get lots of email making strong political statements. They are full of innuendo and outright accusations against one of the political parties. The party in question is essentially accused of being un-American, anti-God and demonic. Many of these emails end with a statement that essentially says the reader must forward these emails or the reader is un-American, anti-God and demonic. I always delete these messages.

Don't misunderstand. I don't agree with everything the party who is being castigated. I just don't see this as my call.

My call is to defend the gospel. I do not believe I am supposed to become political. I do not believe that I am to campaign for candidates of any party. I am not called to do this because I do not believe that Jesus came for one party. I don't think He is owned by one party and I don't think He obeys any party. I believe He came to save all parties. Political statements made by me will undoubtedly close off opportunities to spread the gospel.

This doesn't mean that I shy away from preaching moral issues which may have political ramifications. I don't preach these messages because of politics. I preach them because they represent right and wrong. I do not want to alienate people through these messages but I must stand up for what is right. Therefore, I strongly support marriage between a man and a woman and I stand up for the rights of the unborn.

Can this also alienate people? Of course, but here I stand on God's word not on political convictions. I primarily stand up on these "controversial" issues for the sake of God's people. I have no right to condemn those outside the church. I have every right to speak plainly to those within the church.

Truthfully, I don't want another email that accuses me of being un-American, anti-God or demonic if I don't forward it to ten others. I don't think forwarding emails is standing up anyway. I think its hiding behind the statements of those who started the email.

I hope and pray that I will always stand for righteousness regardless of what any political party is doing. I think this is the best way to be pro-American and pro-God.

Proverbs 14:34 (NIV)
Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people.

No comments: