Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Stop and Listen

Let's suppose you realize that you cannot make a decision without some vital information. There is only one person in the world that has that information and you have an appointment with him.

You arrive at his office and he welcomes you. Before he can say anything you start, "Sir, I know that your time is valuable and that you know exactly what I have been going through. I have made some very bad mistakes in the past and I no longer want to go that direction. That is why I am coming to you. You have the answers that I need and I know that no one else can help me. Since you already know all this I don't need to tell you anymore. Thank you for your time."

Then, you walk out.

At first you feel better about what you have done. You got it off your chest. You have gone to the right place. Then, you realize that things aren't any different than they were before. You're wondering why you went to the guy in the first place. He didn't help you at all.

You never stop to consider that you never stopped to consider. You talked but you never listened.
I hope that hasn't been the story of your prayer life.

Prayer is not just talking to God. It is a conversation. It is also listening.

Yet, for some reason we think we have to keep talking.

Peter notices that Jesus has just met with Moses and Elijah. Instead of listening, he is talking. God arrives in a cloud and says something Peter should have already known. Peter is standing in the presence of God's Son and he is fascinated with Moses and Elijah. It's Jesus he should be listening to. God shows up to point this out to him.

I wonder how many times I have talked without noticing who I was talking to. I wonder how many times I failed to listen because I was talking.

So, today I am going to listen too.

Matthew 17:5 (NIV)
While he was speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them,  and a voice from the clouds said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!"

No comments: