Search This Blog

Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Infinite God of the Infinite Universe

Genesis 1:1 (NIV) 1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Do you ever read the Bible and find that the same verses have deeper meanings each time you read them?

That happened to me today. I read the first verse in the Bible and got an "a-ha" moment. I have always thought of the universe as finite even though I don't know where the end of it is. I guess I just couldn't get my head around infinity.  There is an end to everything I know. Therefore, my universe has always demanded to be finite.

But that's before today. That is before I looked at the Creator rather than that which was created. That change my whole focus. I have always thought of God as infinite. He was not created. I have never seen Him. I don't think of Him as in one place at a time. I don't even think of Him as physical though I am sure He could take physical form. He did with Jesus, right?

Now, the question that struck me today was: Why would an infinite God create a finite universe? He didn't even create finite humans. We will all last forever. (Some to a resurrection to heaven and everyone else will go to the other place.) We are infinite. The word says that all of creation groans for the return of Jesus when it will be redeemed. Of course, that means that it will be placed back into perfection.

It also means that it will be different yet still last forever. Thus, everything that God creates is infinite. The universe was created by an infinite God who could not have created it to be finite because He is in all the universe and He is infinite.

Sometimes I look at the stars and realize that the light from many of those stars took hundreds or thousands of years to reach my eyes. I think of how small I am. I look at the earth and know that it was created just right so that life would flourish. I realize that God created it for me and billions like me. I realize how small I am. I am convicted of my sin and know that Jesus, God's only Son died for those sins. I realize how important I am.

You see, God created me to be infinite. I will last forever regardless of whether I accept Jesus or not. He died for me so that my infinity would be with Him.

I know that the infinite God of the infinite universe loves me personally. He knows my name. I am His child.

One of the amazing things is that I am not puffed up by this. I am humbled. Why would the infinite God do this? It doesn't really make sense. No, it doesn't unless you factor in love.

Yes, His love is infinite too.

No comments: