Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

Why Not Sing?

Our church has both a traditional service and a contemporary one. (I think these terms are outdated but they are the best I have at describing these services.) I stand on the front row during the contemporary service as we sing so I don't get the opportunity to watch the people sing. I sit on the platform during the traditional service and see them.

Many people neither sing nor smile during the whole service. They are unresponsive to just about everything that goes on. Many of these people are senior adults. I wonder if they were told by their parents that they shouldn't move while in church. They are still obeying their parents.

Those who neither laugh nor smile actually do not bother me as much as those who don't sing.

Now, I can understand their thinking that their singing makes a terrible noise. Some of them are justified by being silent. I probably should be silent myself but that should not keep me from lowly saying the words. It should not keep me from moving my mouth so that the singing comes from my heart rather than just my mouth.

Our church uses Media Shout for our songs. I have observed that those who change the slides who sing with us correctly change them at the right time. Those who merely change the slides often get behind and disrupt the singing. One is doing so in a physical way and the other is just doing so mentally. The one who participates physically gets it right. They are more engaged in what is going on.

I believe that those who would move their mouths though they actually remain silent would get more out of worship than those who just stand there while others sing. The singing should erupt from the heart. And sometimes it even comes from the mouth.

Why not sing?

Ephesians 5:19 (NIV)
19 Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello and merry xmas to every one - hope yous had a great time - pity we didnt get snow was all prepared wi sledges kids loving it any ways , all the best for 2012 -
mick b